It is our pleasure to congratulate you on being selected to join the Louisiana Educator Voice Fellowship! Our team is thrilled to have the opportunity to work with you and help you elevate your voice to advance college and career readiness initiatives in Louisiana. This page will be updated on a regular basis to include information and resources to utilize throughout the program.
Fellowship Meeting Dates
- Evening of Thursday, September 21 - Saturday, September 23, 2017 (New Orleans)
- Evening of Thursday, October 26 - Saturday, October 28, 2017 (Baton Rouge)
- Evening of Wednesday, November 15, 2017 (Virtual Meeting)
- Evening of Wednesday, December 6, 2017 (Virtual Meeting)
We will share the 2018 meeting dates as soon as they are finalized. We will expect Fellows to attend meetings in January, February or March, and in May, as well as one or two meetings in summer or fall of 2018.
Project Plan and Assignments
Please click here to visit the project plan and assignments.
September 2017 Conference Materials
- 9:00 a.m. Overview of the 21st century economy slides
- 9:30 a.m. The status and the future of the Louisiana labor market slides
- 10:45 a.m. Ochsner site visit note-catcher
- 2:00 p.m. Competencies for Career Success
- 3:45 p.m. Career Development in Louisiana Schools
- 9:00 a.m. Creating your personal brand worksheet
- personal brand slides
- 10:00 a.m. Principles for Effective Curriculum Design and Development
- 10:45 a.m. Norms for Virtual, Collaborative Curriculum Development Work
- 11:30 a.m. The Fellowship’s Glossary for College and Career Readiness
- 2:45 p.m. Next Steps & Closing
- Post-conference survey
To make the best use of our time together, we request that you spend a few hours before you arrive at our opening reception reading by reviewing the following resources, which will be referenced during conference sessions:
- The Education Trust’s Meandering Towards Graduation report. This 30-minute read makes the case for why our work is so important: despite school systems’ stated intentions to prepare all students for postsecondary success, there is a big gap between what students need to succeed in college and career, and the educational opportunities they are offered in high school.
- Overview of Louisiana Department of Education’s Jump Start initiative. This 15-minute read provides background for understanding the State’s career readiness policy context that our work will fit within.
- National Center for College and Career Transitions’ framework for defining college, career, and life readiness. We will have several conversations next weekend with industry, LDOE, and you to discuss the competencies that we want to build this course around, and this 10-minute read provides an excellent framework for understanding the competencies that students need to master to excel in postsecondary opportunities.
- Please review one of the three following State frameworks for college and career readiness, and consider the following questions as you do: How are the materials organized? What do they say about how the state defines a career and life ready student? What do they say about the State’s approach to developing a career and life ready student (e.g., who is responsible, what matters most and when)? Why do you think that?
- Grant Wiggins’ guide to Understanding by Design. This 10-minute video and 5-minute read provides an overview of the backwards-mapping curriculum design process that we plan to pursue with you over the next several months.
- Finally, please complete our pre-program survey and October meeting registration above. This 20-minute survey will provide baseline data to help us track our progress to goals this year and into the future.
Travel and Reimbursement Policies
America Achieves is pleased to cover travel, ground transportation, lodging, and meal costs for educators while attending Fellowship meetings. America Achieves is not able to reimburse for incidentals, alcohol, unapproved flight/train changes or cancellation fees, and internet service on flights/trains.
America Achieves is happy to book your travel for you or, if the total cost of your round-trip travel is within the parameters below, you may book your travel without consulting us. By choosing to have America Achieves book your travel, you will be responsible for reimbursing America Achieves for the cost of the ticket and any change fees, if you do not attend the meeting. If the cost of travel is above the amounts listed below, please contact us for approval before purchasing.
- Travel less than 3 hours / up to 1,500 miles away: round-trip ticket should cost no more than $320
- Travel more than 3 hours / farther than 1,500 miles away: round-trip ticket should cost no more than $440
America Achieves will cover your mileage when driving to Fellowship meetings at the 2017 federal rate of 53.5 cents/mile. This mileage allowance is in lieu of actual expenses for gasoline, oil, repairs, tags, insurance, and depreciation. Please attach a screenshot of your route to your reimbursement form to receive compensation for the use of your personal car.
America Achieves will cover your taxi/cab/subway ride to the train station or airport and to and from the meeting venue. Please ensure you retain all receipts when taking a ground transportation. Private cars/drivers, are not eligible for reimbursement.
America Achieves will cover your parking during Fellowship meetings. Please lookout for specific parking instructions prior to the meeting.
America Achieves will cover your own (individual) hotel room for the duration of the Fellowship meeting, including tax. Please be sure to bring your ID and credit card for incidentals, as we will cover the room and tax only. Unless pre-approved by staff, any additional items (movies, snacks in your room, bar or restaurant, etc.) purchased by you during your stay is your financial responsibility. If you encounter any unforeseen circumstances or last-minute emergencies, and do not think you will be staying at the hotel after all, please contact us as soon as possible. We want to be sure you are okay as well as cancel any unused hotel rooms to avoid a penalty.
America Achieves will cover your meals whiling traveling to Fellowship meetings and any meals designated as "on your own". We are unable to reimburse for alcohol or meals that are already provided at the conference. Total daily meal expenses should not exceed the following: Breakfast - $10, Lunch - $20, and Dinner - $30.
Receipts and Reimbursement
America Achieves will process reimbursements for pre-approved travel, mileage, ground transportation, and meals after the meeting. All eligible reimbursement forms must be accompanied by an itemized receipt and, if requesting mileage reimbursement, a screenshot of the route driven must be provided. All items purchased are subject to the Fellowship’s discretion and if deemed unacceptable may not be reimbursed. If you are in doubt, please check with us first. Please note that reimbursements are deposited directly into Fellows' bank accounts and typically arrive within 4-6 weeks after the submission deadline. Please download, complete, and send this reimbursement form along with your itemized receipts to firstname.lastname@example.org after the meeting.
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions or concerns.